Sunday, March 7, 2010

An Eternal Perspective...

My husband got a phone call the other day form his mom, talking about his dad. The hospice nurse called and said that my father in law is starting to show the "failing signs" ....my mind has been racing. It almost has seemed unreal in a way that my father in law would truly pass someday because he has fought so hard to be alive. He has not once followed a single pattern of anyone else who has had his cancer. In watching my husband today and yesterday, I can see the worry, being scared, sad, and on the verge of tears, almost every time I look at him. he is so strong. I only hope when the time comes I can hold myself together and be there for him. Even thought I know I am going to be a mess. My father in law is a wonderful man.

In thinking of all that has been going on, I was thinking about the word "Grief" or "Grieving". Grief, is the sense of suffering that accompanies loss, is a common part of mortality as we lose loved ones or experience other tragedies. Because Jesus Christ has suffered the pains and afflictions of all mankind, we can be comforted and healed as we pray to the Father in His name and rely upon His Atonement.

"Just as the lame man at the pool of Bethesda needed someone stronger than himself to be healed (see John 5:1–9), so we are dependent on the miracles of Christ's atonement if our souls are to be made whole from grief, sorrow, and sin. If grieving parents and loved ones have faith in the Savior and his plan, death's sting is softened as Jesus bears the believers' grief and comforts them through the Holy Spirit. Through Christ, broken hearts are mended and peace replaces anxiety and sorrow. . . . As Isaiah stated concerning the Savior, 'Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: . . . And with his stripes we are healed' (Isaiah 53:4–5).

"The prophet Alma also spoke of Christ's healing power as he taught the Gideonites. Referring to Christ, Alma stated that he would go forth 'suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. . . . And he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, . . . that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people' (Alma 7:11–12). Whatever the source of pain, Jesus understands and can heal the spirit as well as the body"

Faith is what I know is going to help our family out those first few months and will still help us 2-3 years from whenever the time does come.... If I honestly didn’t know the gospel was true or didn't have this Gospel in my life, I think that losing someone would be unbearable. I am NOT saying it is an easy thing whatsoever, but I do know that with having an Eternal perspective, it makes things so much easier. I know that we will meet one another again, I know that his dad will accept the Gospel, and I know that he will be welcomed by His family and friends who have passed already and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will welcome him back home, in their presence. It is a comfort to me to know that we lived with our Heavenly Father and Christ before we came to this earth and are excited to see us return.

I have been reading a book called "Glimpses of Heaven"....it is written by a woman who used to be a hospice nurse and she talked about peoples experience right before they pass. It is an amazing book! I know that we are to“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.“In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths” (Prov. 3:5–6).

I know that we must have complete trust in our Father’s plan of happiness and our Savior’s part in that plan. Trusting in His plan give us peace. I know that because of the Savior;s part in that plan which was his Atonement that Big Chuck will be able to be forgiven of any sins or mis doings in his life, and be able to accept the fullness of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that I am so grateful for God’s gift of laws and commandments. Peace, hope, and direction are outcomes of striving to live the teachings of Jesus and obeying His laws and commandments.

The scriptures teach, “Great peace have they which love thy law” (Ps. 119:165). They also teach that “he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come” (D&C 59:23).

To me the commandments and laws of God are like the kite string. They will lead us and guide us upward. Obedience to these laws gives us peace, hope, and direction.

The other thing that i can think of that we can do to receive these blessings of peace, hope, and direction is to learn to respond to the promptings of the Holy Ghost and acknowledge to the Lord our gratitude for this great gift. I know personally that when we have big trials, they are so hard while going through them, but the person that we become after them is remarkable if we stay close and rely on our Loving Heavenly Father and His son. I know it, without a shadow of a doubt. Conveying that to others and having them know it just as strongly is another story.

I know you are thinking...."Lauren why are you writing as if he is dead?" My answer is I'm not, I am however trying to prepare myself in some way so that when the time does come i can be able to know where to turn and be able to give comfort to those that I love who will be suffering right along with me, and be able to help them see blessings even in death. I did find three verses in the Doctrine and Covenants that had caught my eye when I was looking up comfort “And all they who have mourned shall be comforted. And all they who have given their lives for my name shall be crowned. Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God” (D&C 101:14–16).

THIS was exactly what I needed to read and find, and it had been there all along in my scriptures. Sometimes, I know I do, but we forget to turn to our scriptures for sweet blessings and personal revelation. I’d always heard that the scriptures would help me in my life, but I never really understood how much, until I had gotten married, and had a child and then was sealed in the temple. Even more so know with family trials we have been dealing with. There is Great solice that comes from reading and studying in my scriptures. Throughout the rest of my life I know that I will have many challenges and obstacles that I have to overcome, and I know that I will always strive to go to my scriptures first. .

I have much more going through my head but as I sit here, at midnight, on a wooden chair, being 7 months pregnant and uncomfortable, my wonderful couch aka "My bed" is calling me to relax and sleep. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment